Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Kindle Redux

Hello All,

A thought just occured to me...

I think a major facet of why I love my Kindle so much is the idea that:

If I could be satisfied with reading only the books I downloaded from Amazon (or another eBook retailer,) theoretically, I would never again be responsible for the death of a tree.

That is a very powerful meme.

Of course, materials were used in the creation and distribution of my Kindle, but that is over and done with. My Kindle can and will be recycled when it reaches the end of its useful life.

In the meantime, those majestic and incredibly useful creatures called trees will no longer have to be toppled over, pulped, bleached, pressed flat, dried and then have ink sprayed on them in order to convey intel from my visual cortex to my cerebrum.

I absolutely LOVE that.

I no longer want to own books willy nilly. Sure, a first edition of Catcher in the Rye, or Ender's Game is something I would cherish, but the run of the mill Hudson News airport purchase? Paper no longer!
And once my precious little device can render images in color, well, that ends my addiction to Wired; in print form anyway.

I'm already reading the Times on my Kindle, which translates the grainy, black and white nature of a newspaper perfectly.

The Kindle is in its Game Boy stage right now, but soon it will be an XBox. Fast, furious, and gorgeously rendered.

And in the meantime, the sound of a tree falling in the woods has nothing to do with my reading habits and everything to do with my eBook version of Zen Flesh, Zen Bones.

This goes for everything in my life. I no longer wish to own things. Just gimme the data.
I don't want dvd's, I want the codecs contained on them. I don't want books, just the info they contain. No more cds, just the mp3s please.
It's the ideas things represent that I desire, not the things themselves.

Little by little, the world of things falls away and the truth is revealed in its shining glory. This is the SuperForest way.

I feel so free!

Buy a Kindle, save a hundred thousand trees.

Love to All,

-Jackson

2 comments:

Dizzie said...

I usually donate money to plant new trees in the Amazon, and for every contribution I get a thank-you note with an A4 certificat stating I have planted one more tree... isn't that kinda going against your own cause, cutting down trees to send diplomas to people that give you money to plant trees?


...or maybe it's just me... but the hipocrisy struck me over the head like a wrecking ball. Now that's blunt force trauma, if nothing else!

Anonymous said...

Worried about your carbon footprint? Maybe you should look at how much air travel you do, if you're only shopping in Hudson stores. Any trees you saved have more than be offset by the huge waste of jet fuel and all the other facets of airplane travel.