Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Broadway East, NYC restaurant!

Hey Everyone!

In the NY Times Style Magazine this weekend there was an article on the popularity of green walls. They seem to be the latest trend in restaurants and retail shops.


Why not? We of course know all the benefits plants have on the air quality, our moods etc....so, if you can't get to a garden, let's bring the garden to you!

They mentioned a new restaurant on the Lower East Side, Broadway East that has a vertical garden. I checked them out and not only do they have a "green wall" of plants, but they do tons of other cool stuff. They are mostly vegetarian (but do offer a few fish dishes) and get most of their produce locally from the Hudson Valley and Long Island. They use biodegradable take-out containers. They filter and carbonate their own water. The tabletops, ceiling beams and one of the restaurants two bars are constructed from redwood reclaimed from an old water tower from the neighborhood.



I haven't been there yet, so I can't comment on the food, but next time I need a place to eat, I'm going to check them out.

If you've been, let me know what you think!

Eat well!
Niki

1 comment:

CSD Faux Finishing said...

Oh how I wish I still lived in NY now! Well next visit this is where we'll head, thanks for sharing the info! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the food too.