Thursday, June 12, 2008

An East Side NYC sustainable tour!

Good Morning All!

Yesterday, Jackson and I took a lovely tour of the EastVillage and Lower East Side to see some of the great shops that have been popping up.

Sustainable NYC

147 Avenue A (at 9th street)
They've got great gifts and knick-knacks that are made out of recycled materials that are fun and creative. And they also have practical items, like light bulbs and household cleaners that everyone can use. They are a great addition to the neighborhood. A one stop shop for sustainable products.

Organic Avenue
101 Stanton Street
On a hot day, stop here for their great juices! I got a deliciously tangy lemonade and I was initially shocked at the price, but we were able to bring back our glass containers, as soon as we chugged it down, and got $2 back. They also have food, beauty products and clothes!


Kaight
83 Orchard Street
I have heard about this shop for a while now, but have never visited. Maybe because it's south of Delancey, but it is worth the trip. It isn't a hippy haven for hemp clothes that look like your wearing a potato sack. They have luxurious and fashionable clothes that just happen to be made by people that care about our environment. I was super impressed and I even picked myself up a pair of earrings that are made from Bamboo!


EarthMatters
177 Ludlow Street
When it's time for lunch--go to EarthMatters for some yummy food! Earth Matters has been around for a while-it's a great place to pick up some groceries, eat, read and hang with other locals.




If you are in New York this weekend, check them out and support these shops that are doing great things!

Enjoy!
Niki

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the information you provide. Being a dad of 6 kids, it’s a challenge to get them to eat healthy all the time. The biggest problem used to be candy! We all know that kids are ’suckers’ for candy.

Well, my family found a lollipop and root beer barrels made by a company called Pure Fun when we were in Boston. These are really delish! When I read the ingredients on the bag and did my homework I was fascinated that a candy so good was made without any toxic ingredients. The candies are certified organic, Vegan (my oldest daughter is on “an I won’t eat animals!” binge) and Kosher. They are also gluten free (my wife has a wheat allergy) and contain no preservatives. Thought you might want to know about these wonderful candies. I checked out their website… www.organiccandy.com and am amazed at the philosophy that stands behind everything they do. I noticed that they will have an organic lollipop pack for Halloween and candy canes for Christmas! I can’t wait to hand out non-toxic treats to our neighbors children and friends.