Friday, June 13, 2008

SuperForester P.J. Responds to Local vs. Organic!

Niki posted a great thought this week about the dilemma of choosing between locally grown food and organically grown food.

It is a very interesting topic, and one that eludes easy answers. SuperForester P.J. has commented and aims to simplify.

Here are her thoughts...


P. J. said...

Hi Niki,

I agree, in the fight of Organic vs. Local Food, yeah it's too close to call. But at least you and your baby are eating healthy and aware of what you put in your body.

Here's what I think:
Of course local organic food is the best, hands down! Especially if you grow your own food! But when it comes to the everyday conscious consumer, it's a tough decision.

I personally go for the local farm foods when possible, I don't have a Whole Foods store anywhere near me, but I do live in Central California, so I can't really complain, the fruit here is great.
I grow my own fruits and some herbs and exhcange some of my bounty with family, friends and neighbors. But I think local is better, at least you know who's door to go knock down, I mean knock on if there is some type of chemical poising or salmonella outbreak. It(local farming) allows itself for change at the ground (grassroots)level (pun intended).

Don't get me wrong, I like and buy organic too (only if its from CA), the food is simply more beautiful when its all natural, especially broccoli! And we eat with the eyes first, right? But if it is flown in from another country, I think ... hmmm.. some native farmer's land was taken away (United Fruit Company, ring a bell?) to grow "Organic" produce, to be shipped miles and miles away so a pretentious shopper(me)can buy one bunch of broccoli and feel she has done a good deed, a person that lives in a land of excess and can afford to shop for quality. Then I think, those people in that community could be enjoying it right off the tree. I know I feel proud when I eat fruit from my hometown and from my garden right off the tree, I think everyone should know that feeling. But again I am fortunate and biased, I live in California. But I know there are various edibles that are native to each region, it's time to start cultivating those gifts and start working within our communities to bring quality, local and safe food to the table.

Isn't organic supposed to mean simple?

Definitions of Organic:
-"Simple, healthful, and close to nature"
-"Resembling a living organism in organization or development; interconnected"
-"Constituting an integral part of a whole; fundamental"

oh, and
-"Raised or conducted without the use of drugs, hormones, or synthetic chemicals"

local it is!

just my two cents,

Niki, please continue writing about this.

all the best!

-PJ

June 12, 2008 9:39 PM

No comments: