Monday, July 14, 2008

Addin' Dem Zeros!

It might be easy to understand the size or Scale of objects that we interact with on a daily basis. My computer, bicycle, my wife, Wii, plants, Whiterock Lake, my family, hands and feet, yoga room, my city. BUT, how difficult and mesmerizing is it to think about the size of things we rarely see or have never seen at all. The key is in the interaction. How do we relate to the Milky Way in size? Isn't it great that we DO relate to the Milky Way! Mrs. Parker (pre-Google Earth) tried to get me thinking about these things in 9th grade Biology class but only now do I understand what she was getting at when she showed us Powers of Ten. A film made by the Office of Charles and Ray Eames for IBM. A film dealing with the relative size of things in the universe and the effect of adding another zero.

I hope I can be always adding another zero to my life.


some other scale sites~


great interactive scale-
http://www.nikon.com/about/feelnikon/universcale/index_f.htm



a whale of a scale
http://www.wdcs.co.uk/media/flash/whalebanner/content_us.html


LOVE in a BIG or small way,
TV



No comments: