Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Nathan Sawaya: Lego Lennon Tribute!



This = awesome.

"To commemorate John Lennon’s tragic death 25 years ago this December 8, I wanted to create something unique. I settled on his famous self-portrait that John sketched of himself in 1968. I wanted to create a piece that gave more depth to Lennon’s signature self portrait. I reconstructed that sketch out of bricks and then suspended the pieces on almost non-visible strings which gives, at first glance, the illusion that John's face is floating. I felt by suspending the piece in mid-air, it suggests that John is more reachable. By allowing one to physically put their arm through his portrait, this piece allows people to almost figuratively pass through John."

-Nathan Sawaya



That is so great. We'd love to put our arms around and through John Lennon.









Here's Nathan's amazing site: brickartist.com

(If you like this, you won't believe his 10,000 brick Han Solo in Carbonite.)

No comments: