Monday, December 3, 2007

Giant Mechanical Elephant!






I don't know how, I don't know why. I don't care, I love it!

In Nantes, France.

"The Machines of Ile de Nantes are located in the former shipyard, and will open to the public in July 2007. The Machine Gallery is both a laboratory and an exhibition hall where the artist-machinists tell the story and bring to life the fabulous dream machines . The Giant Elephant weighing 40 tons and measuring 12 metres high, it can carry up to 30 passengers for trips along the river and in the town. The Workshop is where the Machines are created. This is the dream factory where, from the gangway, you'll see them come to life right before your very eyes."

Oh man... I'd love a ride on this wonderful creation.

Pure inspiration.

They've got some great "making of" photos here, (under "sa construction"): nantes.fr

Here's a cool movie of the Elephant in action, from Googlevideo:


Many thanks to the luminous Christine Norrie for bringing the beast to my attention. Check out Christine's amazing art at:
spookoo.com

No comments: