Thursday, August 7, 2008

Pass the torch, please

The other day I was watching the news and I discovered the Olympic Torch reached Beijing. The torch is probably one of the biggest traditions concerning the Olympic Games. But it's also a piece of brilliant design as a New York Times feature points out.


In fact it's just a timeline with all the torches since 1936, all accompanied with a little story.

A little bit of research shows that the first torch was at the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games. Before there were just the Games, no torches.

I will leave you with the story behind the Lillehammer 1994 Winter Games torch, one of my favorites:
"This extremely thin torch was wind tested so it could be dramatically delivered for the opening ceremony by a ski jumper."
Too bad I wasn't there.

-jdh

No comments: