Wednesday, August 6, 2008

I'm gonna get "fixed"!

This fall I am planning on turning my 1983 Raleigh road bike into a single gear racer! The bike now is primarily used by a good friend of mine, Jason "Sloopy" Lewis when he comes to visit me from Austin.






I love these projects. The "handsy" work, the trial and error, the mess em ups and triumphs. But what I love most is the RESEARCH!

While researching though, I came across a fun and interesting morsel of intrigue.

Stick with me here...

I was trying to figure out if and or what the difference between a fixed gear bike and a single gear bike are and came across a goody description on wikipedia.

The sentence read like this:

"Nevertheless, the enforced fast spin when descending is claimed[who?] to increase "souplesse" (a French word roughly meaning suppleness), which improves pedaling performance on any type of bicycle.[22]"

The sentence was interesting, of course, but what made my nostrils scrunch is that sweet, little [who?].

So, clicking the "Who?" brought me to this: THIS.

WEASEL WORDS!
Genius!
Oh you wonderful Wiki Weasels!

I love it! Every time I hear a statistic on the news or someone quotes a percentage of "people" who do "something" in a conversation I always scrunch those nostries and wonder, "WAIT! Who said that?"

Thank you wikipedia for validating my concern!

But still, Who said it?!!!

love and weasels,

TV

No comments: