Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Instructables: D.I.Y. Elf Ears!




Whoah.
Just saw this on boingboing.

Instructables has just posted a piece on D.I.Y. elf ears. PERMANENT elf ears.




I've learned how to do a lot of amazing and inspiring things from instructables, but this is the first time I've ever seen a body-mod like this.

Now, a lot of people are going to see this and freak out.
So in the interest of full disclosure I'm going to fess up and reveal that I, Jackson, have also had my ears modded.

Not modded into elf ears, but modded nonetheless.



As a child, I was genetically blessed with two large, flapping, Dumbo-like ears. The teasing I got over my ears was pretty intense. When I was eight, my mother asked me if I wanted them pinned back.

As it turns out, she too had had protruding ears as a child, and she too had them pinned back.

For those of you who are unsure as to what "pinned back" means, here's the otoplasty wiki.



The procedure went like this: Under general anesthesia, a doctor cut a piece of cartilage out of both of my ears, sewed them up, and a week later I got the bandages off, revealing my new, non-sticky outy ears.

What is the difference (ear-wise) between me, my mother, and Elf Ears Girl above?

Not a thing.

We humans are vain creatures. We want to look nice. If not nice, then interesting. If not interesting, then shocking. As long as there's an envelope to push, assuredly, someone, somewhere will eventually push it.

If you in the course of your life run into behavior that shocks or offends you, then as long as the person doing the shocking and offending isn't breaking a law, you have but one course of action.

Respect it.


Respecting differences is the only way to have harmony between humans.

After all, difference is the essence of humanity. There are no two humans who are exactly alike, not even twins.

So more power to Elf Ears. More power to everybody. Our bodies are but temporary things, why shouldn't we decorate and modify them?

Life is yours to live. Live it exactly as you see fit, and if people give you a hard time, thank them for the opportunity to exercise politeness in the face of adversity.

Love to All,

Jackson & Team SuperForest


p.s. Did it hurt? You bet it did! And there was lots of throwing up from the gas they used to put me under. And my ears itched like you wouldn't believe until I got the bandages off.
Do I regret having it done? Nope. But seeing Elf Ears Girl, perhaps I didn't go far enough?....

2 comments:

april said...

Get outta town! My mother has been urging me to do this since I was a wee little thing. My ears stick out a little. Doesn't bother me though. The day it starts bugging me I think I'll just wear my hair down.

Anonymous said...

Goodness gracious, this is weird as heck. I wouldn't have the guts.