Monday, November 3, 2008

New Orleans Prospect .1: Emergency Response STUDIO!



Hi Everyone,

I spent the last weekend in New Orleans where I attended a lovely wedding and a small section of the Prospect .1 Contemporary Art Exhibit . Prospects .1 is the largeset biennial of international contemporary art ever organized in the United States, so if you are close by, it is worth checking out!  I was in the state for a mere 48 hours, so I don't have too much to report, other than noticing this amazing project: 





"Emergency Response Studio, by Paul Villinski, is a solar-powered, mobile artist's studio, repurposed from a salvaged FEMA-style trailer. This sustainably re-built, off-the-grid living and work space is designed to enable artists to "embed" in post-disaster settings, and respond and contribute creatively. Villinski conceived the project in response to the devastation of post-Katrina New Orleans as "a symbol of transformation and possibility for the communities of the Gulf Coast."

Great concept--You can get more info on his website. I love the idea of artists creating spaces for artists in times of need. 

There was probably more amazing work there, I just really didn't get to see as much as I would have liked, so hopefully I'll be able to go back again soon.

Happy Monday! 

Niki 





No comments: