Monday, November 3, 2008

What a Wonderful World

Greetings friends and family,

Today I found myself filled with a strange emotion. It started out as mild excitement and built slowly, until I found myself brimming with optimism. That feeling? It's Hope.

"Hope is a belief in a positive out come related to events and circumstances in one's life."

"Hope is the feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best."

"To hope is to wish for something with the expectation of the wish being fulfilled."

No one can deny the importance of tomorrow's outcome. I for one am filled with extreme hopefulness.

And it is not because of who will or will not be elected.

I am filled with hope because of the country we live in.

Tomorrow we celebrate our democratic freedom. A freedom that allows us, despite our individual beliefs and differences, to come together as a nation. A freedom that makes everyone real equals, even if it is for only one day every four years.

Tomorrow, Joe the plumber's vote will count the same as Bill Gates'.
Tomorrow, my vote will be weighed equally with Michael Moores'.
Tomorrow, you and George W. Bush will have equal say in determining our next president.

And that is why I am hopeful. Sure our country has it's problems. But all-in-all, it is a pretty flippin' sweet place to live.



Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World
performed by Israel "Iz" Kaʻanoʻi Kamakawiwoʻole:


"I hear babies cry and
I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than
I'll ever know
And I think to myself,
'What a Wonderful World'."

Love and Hope to all,

Spoon

1 comment:

Unknown said...

For the first time in about 10 years I truly feel the collective hope that is filling up this country.

As a side note I am a member of the Etsy community and it is encouraging to see so many people far outside of the United States throwing their hope at Obama.