Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Handmade for the Holidays!




Good Morning!

Holiday gift giving always seems a little stressful to most and I am definitely one of those people.

Trying to find the "perfect" gift and do it in the most responsible way ends up taking up way too much of my time.

This year, I'm a fan of making gifts. There are great guides out there with various DIY ideas for holiday gifts. Here are links to a couple major guides:

Treehugger
Inhabitat
Design Sponge

Another great idea is Etsy. I'm sure, most of you, are familiar with Etsy and I love perusing the site to see what beautiful things people around the world make and sell.

I've been wanting a pair of gloves for my son and since I am a terrible knitter/crocheter, I thought I would see if someone on Etsy could make me a pair. I found a woman in Wisconsin who makes the fingerless gloves that I thought Ethan would actually keep on his hands. She welcomed custom orders and was awesome. She gave me tons of options, was super responsive and emailed me pictures along the way to see her progress. I loved them so much, I asked her to make a pair for me, as well!

If you need a pair of gloves (or scarf or hat) you should check out Debbys Etsy store. She was amazing to work with. I'm so excited to get them. She was really fast too!



If you do not have the time or the skills to make gifts yourself, why not support these great crafters and give someone a great handmade gift that was made with love!

Happy gift hunting!

Niki

P.S. Of course, charitable donations are amazing gifts too. Here are Treehugger and Inhabitat recommendations. We are definitely Kiva fans around here.

2 comments:

Neal Spinler said...

i bought quite a few xmas gifts from etsy. not only are you supporting independent sellers and handmade gifts, the person that receives it is really getting a unique gift.

Jackson Nash said...

so awesome.