Thursday, October 30, 2008

Ask SuperForest: Carolyn's Question!


Good Morning SuperForest!

We have received a question from SuperForester Carolyn:

"Hi Jackson and Co.

I'm Carolyn and I read your blog multiple times a day... admittance is the first step to recovery, right? However, I don't wish to recover from reading Superforest anytime soon.

Let's get down to business. I'm in dire need of a costume idea. In the past I've had some pretty stellar homemade Halloween costumes, but for some reason I'm having a brain-block this season...

So, details... Ummm, I'm in college so naturally I have little money to spend on extravagant's. I don't play the half naked costume game. And I'd really like to be the most eco-friendly trick or treater on my block.

Any ideas ya'll have would be much much much appreciated. Thankssssss!

Kindly,
Carolyn"

Dear Carolyn,

Thank you for your excellent question.
Thanks to our friend, the internet, the "sweet recycled Halloween costume" meme is in full effect.

A quick search reveals some very tasty morsels!
Morsels like this cardboard crocodile:



Or Umbrella Bat!



Oooooo! Or the CloroxBot!



Cardboardy Lego Overlords! Kachoowwww!




Between MAKE, instructables, and a google search, there is a world of recycled costume opportunities at your fingertips.

Here's a gallery of recycled costumes from dailygreen.

Papier-mache is also very cheap and easy to do, and most grocery stores and bakeries have old flour that they would otherwise be throwing away.

Here's a amazingly brief video showing how to make a very sophisto-looking wolf mask:



I really love papier-mache! You can do anything with it. It is remarkably strong and forgiving, and you can finish the surface any way you like.

Give it a spin.

Here's a very cool Joker mask made using air-dry clay and papier-mache together:



We hope that this inspires everyone at home to give making their own costumes a try.
Fun, easy, and good for the environment.

Thank you for your question, Carolyn.

Have a safe and happy Halloween everybody!

Love,

Team SuperForest



Got questions? Ask SuperForest!

1 comment:

Neal Spinler said...

that reminds me of like Colonel Hunter Gathers from the Venture Brothers